Thursday, October 23, 2014

Three episodes in, three episodes of uninteresting content… (American Horror Story)

Most people, although some I have spoken to agree, may disagree with this opinion, but I’m going to put it out there anyway. 

I am extremely disappointed by the first three episodes of American Horror Story: Freakshow so far. The season has been characterized as “the best season yet”, but it hasn’t gripped me like the others, particularly Murder House and Asylum, have. I find myself bored and uninterested. 

The first episode I watched entirely; the second episode I watched the majority; and yesterday… well yesterday's episode lost me around 30 minutes in. I found myself not wanting to watch it and instead turned to Youtube videos and shows I'm currently watching on Netflix. 

What you’re about to read is my opinion, and it's what I personally do not like about this season, or what isn’t making it interesting. 

The character of Twisty the Clown is someone I don’t find interesting. Do I wonder why he became like that? What happened to his mouth? Yes, of course because those are unanswered questions. Is he someone I find scary? If I saw him on the street, I would most likely definitely be scared. Watching him on the show, I’m not scared at all. Rather, he’s one of the characters that makes the show less interesting for me. Now, obviously if you have a fear of clowns this character would be a lot different for you, but for me, he's just another character.  

Honestly, the ‘freaks’ aren’t grabbing my attention. Yes, the deformities are strange and interesting, but overall, they’re not characters that have made me like the season any more or any less. The first three episodes have had singing in it by one of these characters, particularly Jessica Lange (who is an incredible actress) has had two songs, and although at first it was good and new, I feel as though if every episode continues to have a musical number, it’s going to grow old fairly quickly. 

Another issue is that the storyline isn’t clear. It seems very jumbled with multiple stories going on at once, which is fine if they all were comprehendible, but none of them really make sense and none of them are demanding attention, so everything appears to be a muddled mess. So maybe it’s a writing issue, maybe not. 

Overall, the season so far doesn’t feel like American Horror Story. There’s weird stuff going on and freaky things, but it doesn’t have the American Horror Story vibe in my opinion. I suppose the weird/freaky aspects of the show are supposed to be found in Twisty, Dandy and his family's need for psychiatric help, the 'freaks', and situations that are occurring, but none of it is as extreme as previous seasons. 

Does all of this mean I’m going to stop watching now and give up on the season? No, not necessarily. I’m going to give the show a few more episodes to see if things pick up and if it regains my attention, but if it doesn’t I’ll probably still keep it on while I’m doing something on my laptop, just incase things do suddenly get interesting. 

I’ve heard people say the season is really good so far, and I’ve also heard people agree with the opinion that it’s boring. I’m sure there’s also a decent amount of people saying the season is great only to conform to what the majority of people think, or at least what’s been said publicly, which is common with any show, movie, or book. I haven’t read about many people saying they dislike it, at least on sites like Twitter and Tumblr. I may not have heard about it on Tumblr because I don’t follow a lot of American Horror Story related blogs, but I follow a lot of people who watch it on Twitter, and I haven’t seen any negativity towards it. 

So, this is what I think about this season so far. Whatever your opinion is, I completely respect it because everyone is entitled to their own feelings. I wanted to put forward my opinion and state why I feel this way because there may be others who agree, and there may be others who oppose it. 

Feel free to leave your thoughts below. It’d be interesting to hear what other people think about the season so far. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment