Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Goodbye 18, Hello 19

When I look back on the past year, I have a lot of things to smile about. And like any year, I have some not-so-happy moments... but this year was different compared to any other. It was both one of the happiest and hardest years of my life. As this new year for the world, and new year of my life begins as I turn 19 today, I wanted to write a reflection on everything that's occurred these past 365 days - think of it as a way to preserve the memories, but also as a way to inspire everyone who reads this to live every year like this, because I certainly know I wish I did before.

Being a January 4th baby, as the new year is just beginning, I'm turning another year older. Like most teenagers, I couldn't wait to turn 18, so when 2016 rolled around, all of the "legal" jokes came and went, but I had lots of things planned: graduation, a trip to Florida, another trip to Florida, a week away with friends, and ultimately, my first semester of college. 

The end of senior year was a lot of fun. Not having to worry about that much work, getting to hang out with friends, and having more freedom were some of the best parts about it. I was never the biggest fan of high school, but I still relished the few months I had left seeing my friend's every single day and spending every morning with my Period A study crew. 

In February, I took a weekend trip down to Florida to see the Mets during Spring Training. It was easily one of the best weekends of my life. From meeting players to chatting with reporters, it was such a great experience that I'm hoping to maybe do again this year. I've already done a blogpost on that story, so you can go ahead and check that out here if you'd like.

During those first few months of the year, I was also making my choice as to which college I would end up at. For a while, I thought I would be going to Fairfield University in Connecticut, but as I write this, I find myself at Hofstra University on Long Island. I didn't want to see other colleges after seeing Fairfield first, but my mom and dad convinced me to visit the others on my list just to be sure, so I did. I got to take a short trip to D.C. to visit two other schools on my list, as well as cross Nationals Park off my list of baseball stadiums to visit. After seeing some other schools as well, Hofstra was the last one I planned to visit. You know that feeling you get when you walk around a campus and realize it's your new home? I never believed it was an actual thing. I thought of it as a cliché and I still kinda consider it to be one when I think about it, but after touring Hofstra's campus, I knew I belonged there. 

Eventually, the end of senior year came around. I got to go to Disney World for a weekend with my best friends (minus two because they didn't go to our school and it was a senior trip) and it was a blast. I made a video of that weekend, which you can check out here. After our senior trip was complete, I graduated high school and enjoyed prom with my friends, which were both fun days that culminated my high school career.

My favorite part about finishing senior year was the week I got to spend with my friends in Point Pleasant. That week was one of the most fun weeks I've ever had. We had a house to ourselves, were right on the beach, and got to enjoy the summer weather every single day on the boardwalk or by the ocean. It was a complete week of relaxation and an extremely fun way to start the summer with so many memories made. These girls know how much they mean to me and I'm sure they're tired of me saying how much I love them, but I truly couldn't have picked a better group of people to spend that week with. I also made a video for that vacation, which you can check out here.

A few weeks later in mid-July I took a weekend trip with one of my friends and her mom to see the Mets play at Citizen's Bank Park against the Phillies. It was an eventful weekend of befriending staff members from the Mets, radio broadcaster Ed Coleman (who we spent hours on end talking to at night and who also gave me some advice on pursuing my career in journalism), sitting front row behind the dugout after a misunderstanding (thanks Kelly), and meeting some more players... oh and getting to try Insomnia cookies for the first time, which are delicious. I got to cross another baseball stadium off the list and had a pretty great time in Philly, though we didn't get to explore the "must see" spots that much, so one day I'd like to go back and do so.

I also met someone who has become one of my closest friends in July, and someone who has made the last few months some of the most adventurous I've ever had. From hiking to the highpoint of a mountain where I live and getting lost quite a few times on the trail to taking spontaneous trips to get ice-cream under the Brooklyn Bridge or making s'mores over a fire we made, I owe a lot of the fun I've had the past few months to him, and he knows it, but he really is one of the most entertaining and fun people I've ever met.

After going to the Subway Series with a group of friends in August, visiting Madame Tussauds, and spending those last summer nights with my best friends (one of which was dedicated to being a "minion party"), September was rolling around quickly, and that meant it was time to head off to our chosen colleges. It wasn't easy leaving them, but we all knew we'd see each other again soon enough.

So, during the first week of September I moved into my dorm room and got to start a new chapter of my life. College has been a blast. I've met lots of great people and I've also been able to do what I love. From the very beginning of my first semester, I was writing for the sports section of my school's paper, writing recaps of soccer games, and getting to interview players and coaches post-game. I got to write an article on the state of the volleyball team midseason and also wrote a feature on one of the key defensive players at my school who's graduating soon. A story I wrote for my journalism class was also published in the news section. Getting that hands on experience only made me more excited about what was to come in the future. I also got to photograph a friend's hockey team during one of their games, which I've never done before. Hockey's a fast sport and getting some nice shots made me feel very accomplished. All of these things also gave me more experience and I can't wait to continue doing so during my second semester.

Unfortunately, my first semester of college came with some tough times, too. While yes, this past year was probably one of the most fun I've ever had, the last two months or so were also two of the hardest months of my life. Losing my Nonna was unexpected and extremely difficult to go through. You can read more in depth about what happened here. That time period was tough, and some days are still very hard, but I'm so glad I got to know her as long as I did. I just wish it could have been longer. Having the amazing friends and family I have was one of the most important things during that time. I can't thank them enough for the support they providing, or for spending the day with me to take my mind off of things, or for just listening when I needed someone to talk things out to. I'm incredibly lucky to have people like them in my life.

With the new year, as everyone says goodbye to 2016 and hello to 2017, I'm saying goodbye to one of the best years of my life, but also one that caused me to face challenges and some very difficult days. I found myself living in the moment, taking risks, and going on spontaneous adventures that only led to finding out more about myself more than I ever have, and I encourage you all to do the same in 2017. I can't wait to see what 19 has in store for me, but I know that I'll continue seeking adventure, enjoying as many moments as possible, and making memories, because yes, some things you can't control in life, but ultimately you create your own happiness by doing the things that you love.

Have a fantastic 2017 and I hope it is as great a year as you hope it to be. xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment