Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Maze Runner Movie Review

After waiting for The Maze Runner to be released in theaters for months, I was very excited to finally see one of my favorite series begin its journey on the big screen.  Those who have read the books are aware of how intense a story this is, and the movie portrayed just that.

Each and every second of the movie had you on the edge of your seat, a cliché, but completely true way to describe it.  In order to get this out of the way now before I continue the review, I want to point out that if you're a big fan of movies being completely true to a book with nothing different, you may not enjoy what was done to progress the movie along.  However, there is no way a 350 page book can be made into a movie with everything being exactly the same.  Each change that was made was made to benefit and move the movie along so that the story could be told.  Things didn't have to be perfect to the book in order to tell the story.  The changes made didn't bother me, but I know some people were annoyed certain scenes weren't accurate to the book.  I will say, however, that the one thing that was left out, or at least that I didn't notice, that bothered me was Newt's limp not being present.  For those of you who have read the series, you know that this is an extremely important component to his character.  Like I said, I may not have noticed it because I wasn't particularly looking for it, but I've seen some people say that they did notice it when he was running, while others say it wasn't there.  Whether it was there or not, this was the one thing I wish was more prominent in the film. 

The cast was absolutely incredible.  The casting team did a great job choosing who would play the characters and I couldn't of imagined a better group of people to portray them.  I would individually discuss how each played their character, but I've already tried and find myself saying that each was incredible and brought them to life so well.  

The Maze itself was incredible.  It was much larger than I expected it to be and also much more intense.  The visual effects were amazing.  For me personally, I felt as though the maze actually existed in its entirety, that it was an actual set you could go to and run yourself.  Along with the maze came the grievers and they were equally as freaky and disgusting as they sounded in the book.  The Glade was also massive in size, with each job having its section.  The adaptation of how everything looked was fascinating. 

I don't want to give away any spoilers for those of you who haven't seen the movie, so I'll prevent from talking about particular things that occur.  I will say that the movie made me very happy as a fan of the book in regards to how the story was presented.  If you haven't read the book, you won't have a problem understanding the story, but I highly recommend you read it because it's a great one.  I absolutely can't wait for The Scorch Trials, which is set to release on September 18, 2015.  The concept art for that looks incredible, as well.  As for my overall rating, I give it a 4.5/5.  The half point that I deducted was for little things that I personally wish were included from the book.  I highly recommend you go and see the movie if you haven't, whether you are a guy or girl, it's action packed, intense, and awesome. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment